CV of Donald Harvey
Freelance full-stack web developer (primarily Django/Python) with 7 years of experience; recent Mathematics graduate. Looking for interesting new projects where I can apply my wide experience and expand my skillset further.
Programming and backend development
- Expert knowledge of Python and Django (~7 years experience).
- Solid experience working with a variety of databases, both SQL-based (Postgres, MySQL) and NoSQL (redis, RethinkDB, MongoDB)
- Moderate levels of experience using node.js for realtime projects.
- Moderate experience working with C++ (mostly with OpenCV) for academic research.
Frontend development, design and UX
- Good eye for visual design, especially typography; can prototype and mockup web and mobile interfaces effectively.
- Good UNIX command-line skills, and experience using version control.
- Moderate devops experience using Ansible and shell scripting to deploy and manage code.
- Experience with data analysis using Numpy, Scipy, pandas and Matplotlib.
- Moderate experience with Machine Learning, using scikit-learn for simple regression tasks
- Mathematically- and scientifically-literate. Working knowledge of basic statistics.
I develop Fireside, an open-source application for recording audio or video interviews entirely in the browser. It is built with Coffeescript, Backbone, WebRTC, socket.io, Express and RethinkDB.fr.sd
Fantasy Soccer Kings
I was the sole developer for this fantasy soccer startup. The project centrally involved writing code to reliably run the various games that the site provides, and interface with credit-checking, real-time sports data and payment APIs. The backend was Python- and Django-based. I particularly enjoyed learning and using React to build a usable and responsive team picker component.fantasysoccerkings.co.uk
I started out with consultancy and mentoring on this Django-based online Argentine Tango school, and have been responsible for ongoing development and maintenance since 2014.learntodancetango.com
Made of People
- dev lead
I am currently development lead for Made of People, a tool that helps artists and creators amplify their reach on social networks by sharing their audiences.madeofpeople.co
Undisclosed machine learning project
- data analysis
This project on a ~100k-record dataset has involved data analysis, cleaning and application of state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms to an interesting real-world business problem.
Python and Django Mentoring
I am currently mentoring a number of clients, giving advice and sharing experience to help them with their projects and with learning Python/Django. See my CodeMentor profile for more details.codementor.io/donaldharvey
Education so far
Employment & experience
Freelance programmer and web developer
Volunteer instructor, Code First: Girls
Teaching beginners' courses on HTML, CSS and Python at Durham University and now at Bristol University.
Full-stack web developer, VODO Ltd
Jun 2012-Jan 2016–
- Heavily involved in developing and maintaining the mature VODO web codebase, both backend (Python/Django) and frontend (SASS, JS). (2012–)
- Was solely responsible for developing the code for VODO's successful Bundle products. (2014)
- Collaborated with the CEO and CTO to introduce a novel strategy for adaptive pricing of digital goods. (2014)
- Experience using numpy, scipy, pandas and matplotlib to perform various data analysis tasks on VODO's customer and visitor data.
Lead programmer and web developer, 9miles Media
Oct 2008–Jun 2012
Started a web design agency with other teens when I was 14, and was responsible for development of numerous projects, including a custom PHP child sponsorship system, various wordpress sites, a prototype for a website-building SAAS, and an SMS feedback SAAS made in two months for Classy Llama using Django.
Hiking & hillwalking, typography, strategy and board games, cycling, speculative fiction and SF